Tuesday 7 May 2013

Quick knits - Lazy Lace Beanie

A quick and easy knit, that's bound to make a friend feel special. The Lazy Lace Beanie is my first attempt at creating a beanie pattern.



The Lazy Lace Beanie

The back story:

My friend's birthday was coming up quick and fast and she'd been hinting that she, too, would love to have one of those famous beanies I make. I've recently adopted the rather hard line policy of requesting people to buy their own yarn and corresponding needles, if they want me to make something for them. Because, good riddance, yarn and knitting accessories are freakishly expensive! The way I see it, it's a win-win. They get a master piece to cherish forever (or until it begins to unravel) and I get to keep the leftover yarn and needles. Score!

So far, people have been rather slow on the uptake of this particular offer of mine, but I'm sure it'll catch on... Maybe.

Anyway, with her birthday only two days away, I decided to move up the friend ladder with her and make her a beanie of her very own, courtesy of my very own funding. Because I was rather short on time by then, I needed something that could be done quickly, but would still look epic. I looked at what felt like a million patterns at the time, but didn't find anything that was suitable and at my beginner skill level. So I did the only thing I could do. I invented my own pattern...

The Lazy Lace Beanie and what you will need to make it

What you will need:

  • Bulky yarn of your choice and appropriate size 40 cm circular needles (the bigger the quicker!)
  • Full set of double pointed needles (DPNs) in appropriate size
  • Blunt sowing needle for weaving in ends


I chose Moda Vera Shiver in colour number 14 (available at Spotlight, Australia)
10 mm/ 40 cm circular needles
5 mm DPNs (which were too small, so I'll need to invest in bigger ones soon)


The pattern:

K - Knit
Cast on using huge needles!
P - Purl
Ktbl - Knit through back loop
K2tog - knit 2 stitches together
YO - Yarn over

Gauge with my yarn and needle size was 10 stitches x 10 rows = 10 x 10 cm/ 4 x 4 inches.
This will fit a medium adult head.

Cast on 48 stitches in your preferred method (or multiples of 4 to adjust size)

Start the rib for the brim:

Place a marker and join the round, being careful not to twist the work.

Round 1: [P1, Ktbl1] repeat [] until end of round

Repeat round 1 until desired brim length is achieved. I did three rounds.

Start the lazy lace pattern:

Round 1: [K2, P2] repeat [] until end of round
Round 2: [YO, K2tog, P2] repeat [] until end of row
Round 3: [K2, P2] repeat [] until end of round
Round 4: [K2tog, YO, K1, P1] repeat [] until end of row

Repeat rounds 1-4 three times. Add extra pattern repeats for a slouchier fit.

Switching to DPNs during the decrease
Begin the decrease:

Round 1: [K2tog, P2] repeat [] until end of round - 36 stitches left
Round 2: [K2tog, YO, K1, P1] repeat [] until end of row - 36 stitches left

Switch to DPNs during the next round if stitches are starting to stretch. If not, wait until round 5.

Round 3: [K2tog, P2] repeat [] until end of round - 27 stitches left
Round 4: [YO, K2tog, P1] repeat [] until end of row - 27 stitches left

Switch to DPNs during the next round if you haven't already.

Round 5: [K2tog, P1] repeat [] until end of round - 18 stitches left
Round 6: [K2tog] repeat [] until end of round - 9 stitches left

Cut yarn, leaving a 6 cm tail. Weave tail through live stitches twice. Pull yarn through centre of life stitches and slowly tighten. Weave in ends. Enjoy. :)

4 comments:

  1. I think I'll try this beanie, you make it look so easy, and stylish! Of course I don't know how to knit, so I guess I'll be starting with your tips on how to cast on, or better still, a trip to the shop to find some needles, yarn, strong coffee.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. How is your preparation going? I'd love to hear about your progress. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the pattern and I will try it out one day. Just a question though.

    What if you did the cast on and ribbing with the smaller needles and the lace with the larger needles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using the smaller needles for the ribbing would definitely help to make the beanie tighter around the head and helps it stay in place. Just make sure you don't go too small. :)

    ReplyDelete